Tuesday, November 5, 1996

Victimizing Passengers

Philippine Daily Inquirer
November 5, 1996
Letters

My wife, our little boy and I were scheduled to fly PAL early morning on Thursday to Naga for the weekend, but when we got to the Manila Domestic Airport, we were told that employees affiliated with PAL Employees' Association had gone on a wildcat strike. We were stranded.

I have not been following reports about the labor dispute at PAL. Nonetheless, I always assumed that the employees and their union had valid grievances and causes, they being the side with less leverage and clout. However, by sneakily timing their strike hours before the entire Filipino nation's trek to their ancestral homes for the time-honored tradition of visiting the graves of their departed beloved, Palea struck against the very heart of everyone of us.

This All Saints' Day meant a lot to me as I hoped to revisit the grave of my dear papa who passed away early this year.

Staging the wild-cat strike may have made tactical sense, but to us the riding public, it was like being told: "We have problems with management, so you are on your own, buddy!"

Do a reality check, Palea. You have just lost the sympathy we had in your cause. -- ED MALAYA, 3575 Saloysoy St., Sta. Mesa, Manila

No comments:

Post a Comment